16 September 2010

Friendships, Family and Follies...

OK, OK I get it, I can be a selfish C U Next Tuesday sometimes.  But, so, I believe, can most of the rest of the human race (and if you haven't tried being selfish and treating yourself like the Queen or King you are, I heartily suggest it!) What I don't get, however, is how someone who has known me for the better part of a decade could possibly be surprised by this fact.  Particularly when the current state of events is not particularly selfish, nor is it particularly bitchy on my part.

I have a friend, however, who seems to think that because I am in a relationship, and didn't call him for a few days, that it is a sign of friendship Armageddon. Apparently, because I had a busy weekend filled with wonderful events, family I haven't seen since December, and an all too brief visit from a GREAT friend from Miami on Monday, I am a selfish prick for not calling someone back before Wednesday when I SAW him on Saturday night.  I don't even call my Mom THAT often (and believe you me, I call my Mom pretty often!)

Yes, I am a bit preoccupied with the relationship I am in, but it is still new and exciting and fun, and honestly, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT???  I mean, seriously, who wouldn't be immersing him or herself in something that is new and positive and good in their life?  Yes, some things that I normally would be more responsive to have slowed down a bit, but that would be true in any such circumstance.  On the other hand, aren't my current responses normal, when the life changes I have experienced recently are taken into account?

Dear, dear readers, please let me know what you think!

3 comments:

  1. ΣΠΥΡΟΣ ΘΕΟΔΩΡΑΤΟΣSeptember 20, 2010 at 8:14 PM

    Well.. its allright, no problem.. I think he 'll understand that you are having a good time.. Real friends fell happy when you re happy, isn't it? (but it sounds normal.. friend also need their time, as all relationships!) Have a good time, pal.. See ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, as I'm sure many have been on both sides of this fence. Having said that, If you friend feels like you're blowing him off, you probably are and are just not aware of it. Most people tend to focus on their new romance and there is nothing wrong with that. But friends tend to become extremely insulted when you blow them off. You may want to consider not being defensive about it and listening to the meaning behind the words.

    I have a friend doing that very thing right now!He's seeing someone new, and I haven't heard from him in over a month.Yet I have the pleasure of reading his several facebook status's about his new "relationship" daily.
    Now, I've been through this before with him and when it didn't work out or something,Contact was immediately resumed (or unpaused) and it was my duty now to talk him off the ledge.
    Maybe a simple apology for not getting back to him sooner would have sufficed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never forget your friends; share your joy! Sat to Wednesday isn't anything to trip about though, and the fact is, you are in a new relationship. So am I.

    Three days with my man feels like an afternoon. Time is a concept not a reality. So I understand. Just strive for a little balance and your friend needs to just back up and give you a little space and support...that's all!

    Hopefully you two can work it out!

    ReplyDelete